May 29, 2006

Good Sign or Bad Sign?

Usually I’m pretty good at reading my body’s reproductive signs, but my body seems to have thrown a curve ball at me this time. I think I ovulated last Saturday, so if that’s the case, I’m 9dpo today. And I seem to be bleeding a bit.

I’m not quite sure what to make of it.

When I went to the bathroom earlier today, I didn’t expect to see anything, so I was surprised when I wiped and saw blood ranging in color from brown to dark red to lighter red. The next time, it was light pink and there was less of it. The third time, less than the second time and all brown. There haven’t been any clots or anything in the toilet, it’s only when I wipe that I see something.

In my mind, I keep trying to make a case for implantation: During the times I do ovulate, I always get my period 14 or 15 dpo, not sooner. And, I don’t think I estimated the ovulation date a week late, because that would mean that I ovulated on cycle day 5, which is really early for me and I didn’t notice any signs around that time. And, I’m taking progesterone suppositories twice a day, so that should make my period come later, not earlier. And, and, and…You get the picture.

Then, of course, the case for it not being implantation comes up too: The first time, there was probably too much blood for it to just be implantation. Or, 9 dpo is too late for implantation spotting. Or, maybe I didn’t really ovulate at all, even though I thought I did. Or, maybe I did ovulate, but since I forgot to take the progesterone on Thursday morning and Saturday night (I haven’t missed any other doses for the past 8 days), my body thought my progesterone was falling and this is my period. And on and on I go…

I’m going to try not to obsess too much. (Really, I mean it!) Whatever is, is, and there’s nothing I can do about it other than keep taking the prenatals, folic acid and baby aspirin until I know for sure. I was going to wait until next Monday to test since we have plans for next weekend and I wanted to just put it out of my mind. But that was back when I figured the progesterone would buy me a couple extra days of time.

So, whaddaya think? Good sign or bad sign? Test early or hold out ’til next Monday? If you have any "there was so much blood it had to be a period, but actually it turned out to be a pregnancy" stories, now's the time to share them...

3 comments:

Nico said...

I think there's definitely hope! One of my very good friends actually had three full days of bleeding, so she was absolutely convinced that it was her period. Turns out she *was* pregnant, and just delivered a healthy baby girl.

To test or not to test - I'm personally of the test later rather than sooner school, but you'll figure it out when you get there. I never was able to wait quite as long as I planned to!

Anonymous said...

Hi Rebecca -

I spent the greater part of this morning searching the internet in hopes of finding someone who has posted an similar experience as I am going through right now - and after about 3 hours I found yours! I was 9 dpo yesterday and started bleeding a little bit but today it seems to have picked up the pace a little bit. Not quite the same amount that I would normally get during a regular period but enough that I am worried about. My cycles are always 28 days and I am also taking the progest. supps. I know it has been almost a year since you wrote this but I was wondering if you could possibly share your outcome with me.
Thanks
Sally

Penelope said...

Thank you for sharing such important information. It will be very useful for us in future. Good keep it up and keep writing. Read more about
Carpets Installation