January 05, 2010

NY Resolution - What Was I Thinking?

Maybe the problem is that I wasn't thinking. Because on top of the crazy idea of trying to exercise 2 hours a day, dealing with dad's situation, and attempting to catch up at work from the time off last month, apparently I've decided that now is the perfect time to give up refined sugar.

Do you know how many different things refined sugar is in?!

I almost didn't make it through the first 24 hours. (I started yesterday.) I began to feel a headache and nausea come on yesterday afternoon - probably from withdrawl. :-) I wanted a Cok.e so badly!

Our house is also full of homemade (by R's dad) caramel corn, mint creme brownies I made before leaving to be with my dad (R's not a fan of mint, and apparently neither is my mom), a box of French mints she bought me for Christmas, and all sorts of packets of hot cocoa in fun seasonal flavors (gingerbread hot cocoa, anyone?)

And I could have none of it.

I did manage to survive the first day, though, and today was a bit easier. We'll see how long this lasts...

So, what is your New Year's resolution?

6 comments:

lastchanceivf said...

Ugh. I gave up sugar for IVF #5 and, although I almost immediately dropped 7-8 pounds (which are mostly back, ugh) it was really really hard. I love to bake and I love sweets. Sigh. I know it's healthier but I don't know if I can do it again. Maybe there's some middle ground?
I didn't make any resolutions this year--other than the most obvious--but it seems silly to actually articulate that goal at this point :)

kayjay said...

I too gave up refined sugar as much as I could for the last few IVFs I did but you're right...it's in EVERYTHING. Even stuff you wouldn't think it would be in, you read the ingredients and you see "glucose/fructose/syrup" and you just know that sucker is getting put back on the shelf. I did give up sugar for my very last IVF but I allowed myself to eat as much fruit as I wanted and that included naturally sweetened items (i.e. fruit juice sweetened).

As for a NY resolution, I didn't make any this year. I'm trying to take life as it comes and enjoy the present rather than worrying so much about what may/can happen in the future or what has happened in the past. Here and now, that's what I'm trying to do.

MrsSpock said...

I don't eat a lot of sweets, but I do crave a nice drive-through Coke every week or so. That would be hard to give up...

And now the thought of homemade caramel corn and gingerbread hot cocoa is making my mouth water...

Linda said...

Ugh, I did something similar a few years ago and did lose weight quickly, but that didn't last. I couldn't live like that forever -always craving something that I shouldn't have. So I gave us. Maybe you could give up one thing and limit other things? Like I gave us sodas and have limited my sweet intake. I could still have sweets but choose wisely.

I stopped doing New Year's resolutions a while ago. No sense in making a resolution when I'm just going to end up breaking it anyway and then feel like a failure. So I gave up on making those and just take it one day at a time.

Good luck and I hope this year brings you much happiness!

furneaux fan said...

hello - I googled hashitoxicosis and pregnancy and came across your blog. Where you advised to give up sugar?
In desperation at my psycho hashis PCOS no-period/no baby situation I went to a naturopath about 4 years ago - giving up sugar (as well as loads of other things like caffeine) and taking herbal medicine and 4 years later I am watching my 2 year old daughter destroy my orchid plants. I am convinced it made the difference. She identified sugar as a common factor in many of my problems. I know that the alternative medicine route is not for everyone, but I wondered if it was something you'd ever considered?
Anyway, if you can do 1 thing, giving up sugar is it, once you've gone through the initial HELL, it starts to get much better, you taste food differently, your energy levels sort themselves out and you are forced to eat much better because sugar is in everything so you have to cook from scratch yourself. Good luck with everything, I know how desperate it can seem at times - Jo (37,UK)

Penelope said...

This is really nice post works well and easy to configure...thanks for all info.
Laminate Flooring Prices