March 01, 2009

Freezing But Having Fun

I know I've been quiet lately. Everything is fine, I'm just trying to get into a rhythm. And now we're on vacation, so I don't have much Internet access.

So far, I'm not terribly great at juggling school and work. (I started working on my master's degree online two days before I headed to Colorado for our January cycle.) And I decided to ease into it by starting with just one class for this first semester, so I can't imagine what all the rest of the semesters will be like with two classes each! I keep saying I'm going to get ahead, but right now I'm still turning in all my assignments the day before or the day they're due...

Nothing new on the IF front at this point. This Wednesday, it will be three weeks since the embryo cells were sent off for micro-array, so I imagine it will be at least a few more weeks before we get the results. But between school, work and vacation, the time is flying by.

On a much more fun note, R and I decided after the November cycle that we needed a vacation. 2008 was a tough year, with R's company kicking off the year with a major layoff, miscarriage #6, all his dad's heart problems, R winding up needing a defibrillator, and it taking six friggin' months and a couple of false starts for us to get to the point of being able to do the November cycle.

We started our vacation by flying out late on Friday night. On Saturday, we met up with my best friend and went to a place called Jillian's (I imagine it's like a Dave & Buster's, although I've never been to D&B.) Jillian's has an arcade, pool tables, a bowling alley and food. We played air hockey, skeet ball, basketball hoops and some other games. I also spotted a Chocolate Cafe nearby, which is totally my kind of place, so I dragged my friend and R there and bought $26 worth of chocolate. (Not all for me, I swear!)

Then we said goodbye to BFF and drove a couple of hours to see another close friend of ours. Her oldest daughter, now 17, was the flower girl in our wedding, and I consider her and her younger sister to be my nieces.

They had gift cards to an even more yummy chocolate place, and my friend (without knowing about the chocolate I'd bought earlier in the day - even I'm not that much of a chocolate whore!) suggested going there and stocking up. We wound up going there before dinner, just to make sure we got there before they closed. We spent $57 on chocolate - yikes! But it was for 6 people, so I suppose it's not quite so bad if you look at it that way.

We went to dinner, went back to her house and dug into some of the chocolate, and then I stayed up until about 1 a.m. helping my older niece paint her bedroom royal purple on three walls and black zebra stripes on the fourth, white wall. It sounds extreme, but it worked, especially once she started putting the room back together. It was great to see all of them.

Then we drove a few more hours to meet some other friends of ours, and tomorrow the four of us are getting up and driving five hours to the Traverse City, Michigan area, where it's supposed to be about 20 degrees. (Keep in mind, back home it was 85 degrees this weekend!) This is cold unlike any we've ever experienced! :-)

But we've rented a great place that has a fireplace and a 6-person hot tub, so we'll find ways to keep warm. We're going to go snowmobiling, play board games, just relax and have fun. Something we don't do nearly enough!


Linda said...

Just checking up on you. How's your vacation? :)

Grad3 said...

It sounds absolutely fantastic! Enjoy that hot tub :)))