December 13, 2010

LIT, Round 1 is Complete

And obviously, I lived to tell about it.

I was really stressed about crossing the border - I didn't sleep at all the night before. But it turned out that the whole thing was really no big deal.

The most annoying part was being badgered by a very persistent shop owner who wanted us to buy medicines from a pharmacy or get our pictures taken with a donkey while we were standing at a corner (with the clinic's receptionist) waiting for another clinic employee to pick us up and drive us to a restaurant for lunch.

The guy doing the badgering asked if we were there to see a dentist. I smiled and shook my head no. Then he asked "Why are you here?" I just shook my head no again, and he insisted rather rudely "Tell me why you're here!", then accused us of being terrorists when I wouldn't respond.

I wasn't in the mood to talk about it, but perhaps I should have gone into every personal detail - that would have made him think twice about asking the same questions of the next couple he sees waiting on that street corner! Now that I'm prepared to expect that, maybe I'll take that approach if we see him on our next trip.

After the injections, I was kind of bummed because I didn't feel or see much of a reaction. However, 48 hours in, I have red welts the size of a quarter at each injection site. (There are 8 - 4 on each arm.) The itchiness I've heard about has also developed, and I'm not allowed to scratch or take antihistamines. Thankfully the itching isn't so bad that I'm going crazy - if I'm focused on work or some other activity (Christmas baking) or sleeping, I'm usually distracted enough to not notice it too much. But still, I'll be glad when the itching goes away.

We plan to go back for round 2 in January, but that will depend in part on what's going on with my dad. He's been stable in remission for the past month, so he's supposed to go back into the hospital on Thursday, and his bone marrow transplant is scheduled for Dec. 23. Prayers are welcome.

Also...thanks to all of you who offered anniversary gift suggestions!

7 comments:

lastchanceivf said...

I'm so glad you lived to tell about it :)
That is weird about the incessant pestering! I've often wondered what people would even say if I actually answered them truthfully with some of their nosy questions...
Prayers for your Dad, most definitely. And enjoy holiday baking!

Sue said...

Yay! I am impressed...and super glad that things went much better than expected!!! I had no idea about the itchiness!

Definitely will keep your dad and your family in my prayers.

Libby said...

Maybe next time you can get the picture with the donkey - would be nice for the baby book, no?

I'm glad it went well. It sounds like there was a lot of planning to make it happen. So, does that make you Team Edward? (Sorry, that's my lame attempt at keeping up with today's youngsters.)

Hope your dad's bone marrow transplant goes well. Thinking of you...

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that the LIT went well (minus the picture with the donkey/terrorist accusations - WTF?)

I will be thinking about you and your dad tomorrow.

Silver said...

I once gave an honest answer to a taxi driver who was taking me to the hospital obs & gynae department where I was due to see a high-risk obs to discuss whether we should give up trying for a baby. Needless to say, he assumed I was pregnant. When I told him why I was really going, he told me that he and his wife had taken 10 years to conceive their first child and told me he hoped I got good news and wished me luck. Every so often, giving a nosy person the real answer brings a good surprise. Will be thinking of your dad and hoping for good news - I know how waiting for that particular kind of news feels.

Riya Joshi said...

Hello man! Incredible post however I extremely needed to simply drop a remark on your blog. Your blog has a super cool outline. Is this wordpress by possibility? Carpet Sharjah

Penelope said...

Hello man! Incredible post however I extremely needed to simply drop a remark on your blog. Your blog has a super cool outline. Is this wordpress by possibility?
YourWordsHere
cowhide patchwork rug gray https://rugsdubai.ae/product-category/patch-work-rugs/