February 02, 2009

Triggering Sooner Than Expected

Well, well, well, apparently my ovaries have decided to sit up and take notice after all.

Since my follicles' growth was rather pathetic on Friday, I didn't have to go back for another ultrasound until Sunday. There was growth, but it was still slow - 1 or 2mm, and most of my follicles were in the 13-15mm range. I think the largest was maybe, maybe 17mm.

So you can imagine my shock when the ultrasound today showed a few that were over 20mm, and most of the rest at 17-18mm. Somehow between yesterday and today they achieved about 4 days worth of growth!

I thought for sure RE would have me stim for one more night, but nope - trigger is tonight. Wow. So retrieval is Wednesday, and we're heading home on Thursday night.

Hopefully by this time next week we'll know how many they were able to biopsy. And then we settle in for another two-month wait.

Our nurse mentioned that the genetic counselor wants to talk with us about doing micro-array instead of CGH this time, since we wound up with so many "no results" last time. She wasn't in today, so that conversation will happen tomorrow. I know she explained the differences when we met with her last summer, but I don't remember the difference.

8 comments:

Fashionably Infertile said...

I am glad to hear your ovaries woke up and took notice. Sounds like you have nice follies growing.
Good luck with your retrieval tomorrow!

Sue said...

That's great! I am so excited for you! You get to go through the icky part now, take a nice two month wait, feel better and healthier, and then go pick up your beautiful embies (and you WILL have beautiful, healthy embies!). Dr. G told me when we talked about CGH vs. Microarray a few weeks ago that there were differences but in the most important aspect, success, there were no differences at all. We still aren't sure which one we are doing- we are leaving it up to CCRM to determine which one has a shorter wait.

Good luck on your retrieval, I am sure you will get a bunch of great, mature eggs! Can't wait to hear the report!

MamaSoon said...

Hmmm. They wanted me to thaw and retest using microarray too. I wonder if they aren't trusting their CGH lab these days after that big snafu where my (and supposedly others) biopsies were messed up and no cgh was possible.

Grad3 said...

Seems your girls are just opinionated-- and will do things when good and ready.

Crossing all fingers for you!!!

DAVs said...

Yay for super follicle growth and triggering sooner rather than later! I hope you get continued good news here on out.

Anniep said...

Yay follies! Somehow I recall finding the genetic counsellor lady to be a waste of our time...
personally, I'd leave the micro-array/CGH decision up to the lab. Can you meet with someone from the lab, too? Any way to find out what the deal was w/ the no results? Esp. since they're sent out. I did know ours got sent to a lab in NJ...

I'd be worried... (I was worried!)

I've got everything crossed for ya for the ER. Enjoy the heated bed/air blanket. Ahhhhh.

MamaSoon said...

I'm a butt. I forgot to say: GOOD LUCK and HAPPY TRIGGER

MamaSoon said...

thank you for that comment. i knew there was something up. i am here cheering you on.